Dear Razom Community,
This upcoming Wednesday, August 24th marks Ukrainian Independence Day and six months since the beginning of russia’s full-scale military invasion of Ukraine. Ukraine declared independence 31 years ago on August 24, 1991 and has been a beacon of reform, democracy, and liberty in Europe. Today, this progress is being stalled by russia’s violent and destructive all-out war against Ukraine and Ukrainian freedom.
The crimes russia has committed in the last six months are unspeakable, unconceivable. The millions of men, women, and children who suffer from russia’s aggression have had their lives changed forever. Those Ukrainians who were able to flee, are scattered all over the world now.
But Ukrainians are also stronger than ever. They are now defending the values that Americans and the democratic world cherish most and will continue to do so – and Ukrainians and democracy will win!
In such difficult times, every gesture of support from Ukraine’s close friends, allies and partners from the international community and especially, the United States, matter more than ever before. So we’ve put together a roundup of how you can make it a point to celebrate Ukrainian Independence Day with your friends, family, and community.
There are celebrations in New York City, Washington D.C., Miami, San Francisco, Boston, Philadelphia, Minneapolis, Cincinnati, and more. If we’re missing an event happening in your area, please email us all the details firstname.lastname@example.org.
This Saturday, August 20 – 3:30PM join us at Dag Hammarsköld Plaza (near the UN) and remind the world once again that #russiaisaterroriststate
On the 4th of March, 2022 #terrorussia gained control over Zaporizhzhia Nuclear Power Plant, the largest NPP in Europe.
Using this facility as an instrument of intimidations and violating all the existing conventions, the russian army is shelling the territory of the plant, bringing the world on the brink of the nuclear abyss. Reckless actions taken by the terrorist state of russia can lead to a catastrophe of an unprecedented scale.
Join us and remind the world once again that #russiaisaterroriststate and demand reaction from the global community in order to prevent the irreparable damage that can be caused by the insane actions of the aggressor!
On Tuesday, August 23rd at 7:30PM join us at Bowling Green Park for “Spark of Courage: A Candlelight Vigil”
On the National Ukrainian Flag Day, join a worldwide campaign to commemorate those Ukrainians and friends of Ukraine who gave their lives to protect the values of the free world.
Donning Ukrainian national clothes, we come together at sunset in cities across the world, with flags and, most importantly, candles in memoriam of the soldiers and civilians whose lives have been lost in this war.
Additionally, and as an alternative for those who cannot participate live, we invite and encourage everyone to be a part of an online flashmob. A participant could take a photo at home of their candle next to Ukrainian symbols. Then they would post the picture of their candle on social media tagging the location they are posting from with the hashtag #sparkofcourage
Let us show that Ukrainians are truly everywhere. Let us remind the world about the price of freedom and honor all those who fought for the protection of democracy.
Poster by: @karina.smyrnova
On Wednesday, August 24th at 5:30PM join us in unfurling the biggest National Flag of Ukraine in Central Park (Sheeps Meadow) on its Independence Day!
Please use the link and fill in the form for participation: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSf9qf_dAxFkBOlZ71qW9-7nas-EWAcji5dwbtqqM8rkGiQx-g/viewform?usp=sf_link
This year the 31st birthday of Ukraine’s independence coincides with the sixth month of fight agains brutal russian aggressors. Six months of fighting for the future of Ukraine, fighting for liberty and values of the free world.
By unfurling the biggest Ukrainian Banner in the heart of New York City, Ukrainian community will show that nothing can break the spirit of freedom that lives in the heart of every Ukrainian. We are unbreakable and on Ukraine’s independence day we will proudly hold the blue and yellow flag as a symbol of our nation and our future victory.
Join us and support Ukraine and Ukrainians in our righteous battle against evil. Stand with Ukraine!
Poster by: @karina.smyrnova
Don’t forget to put these events coming up in the next couple of weeks on your calendar, as well as snag some incredible art or handmade goods that go to support the people of Ukraine.
In New York:
- On Saturday, September 24th, 6AM-6PM, New York Cycle Club’s 28th Annual Escape New York Ride (ENY’22) will have an opportunity to fundraise for Razom. Use Code RAZOM2022 to save $20 on registration and donate $22 of the registration fee to Razom. Riders who raise $500 or more will win a free jersey! For further details, visit enynycc.org/causes.
- On Friday, September 30th at 6:30PM Otto’s Shrunken Head in the Lower East Side is hosting another Benefit for Ukraine with a lineup of great music and all donations going to Razom.
- On Thursday, October 6th from 6:30-10PM the Ukrainian Institute of America is hosting the Sunflower Gala fundraising for Razom’s humanitarian relief work. The evening will include a special menu designed by Veselka, and special performances by Pavlo Glyntov, Vira Slyvotzky, Alisa Smarichevskaya, and opera singer Ludmila Fesenko.
- On Sat, August 20th to Sun, August 21st, 10AM – 8PM SLAVIC EXPERIENCE is coming toBoom Island Park in Northeast Minneapolis. A welcoming space for people of Slavic heritage to commemorate, celebrate, and share the richness and diversity of Eastern European traditions and customs with the greater Twin Cities community.
In the UK:
- On Wednesday, September 7th, 7-9PM the Young Professionals of the Danish-UK Association welcome Londoners to come and enjoy their end of summer concert at Box-Park Wembley. All proceeds from the evening will benefit Razom.
- Door County Candle Company isdoubling down its “Light to Unite” donation efforts to meet a $1M donation goal on or before Ukraine’s national Independence Day on August 24. Between now and 8/24, the company will be donating $5 from every online sale of its traditional yellow Lemongrass and blue Lakeshore 16 oz. candles– the official colors of Ukraine, and will continue to donate 100% of profits from its Ukraine candle
- Black and White Project Space is sponsoring Buy an Icon – Save a Life in Ukraine art auction featuring the work of Ukrainian artists Sonia Atlantova and Olexander Klimenjko titled Icons on Ammunition Boxes. Since 2015, they have painted on wooden fragments from military ammunition boxes left by russian soldiers on the battle fields in Eastern Ukraine, found by Ukrainian deminers and rescued by medical volunteers from the Pirogov First Volunteer Mobile Hospital (PFVMH). 100% of sale proceeds will go to PFVMH (ПДМШ), a Razom grantee partner. You can learn more about their amazing work here.
- Awethentic Gallery has curated an Art for Ukraine collection featuring paintings and prints from a variety of renowned Ukrainian artists. Some of their works focus on the recent Russian invasion while others focus on the beauty of Ukraine. In the collection, 20-100% of the net proceeds will go to Razom and the World Central Kitchen.
Please join us in Washington, D.C. for a Ukraine Action Summit! We invite individuals organizations — not just Ukrainian groups, either! — who are invested in advocating for Ukraine to Washington from September 18-21.
The Action Summit is co-sponsored by Razom for Ukraine, the Ukrainian National Women’s League of America, United Help Ukraine, U.S.-Ukrainian Activists, the Joint Baltic American National Committee (JBANC), Ukrainian Medical Association of North America (UMANA), Ukrainian Catholic University Foundation, Kyiv Mohyla Foundation of America, MedGlobal, the Syria Faith Initiative, the American Coalition for Syria, the Ukrainian-American Crisis Response Committee of Michigan, and Florida For Ukraine. Organizations interested in co-sponsoring should reach out to email@example.com
This Action Summit will be an opportunity for organizations and advocates all over the U.S. to coalesce in Washington, D.C. and exchange best advocacy practices to continue educating our elected representatives about why the U.S. must continue helping Ukraine prevail.
Your voice is critical both to our joint advocacy efforts, as well as to ensuring that members of Congress understand how important it is to help Ukrainians prevail against this ruthless invasion. Please be sure to register here by August 30, 2022.
Thank you so much for reading this newsletter, for keeping up to date with Razom, and for your support of Ukraine. We’re so glad you’re with us.